It feels good to update this once again with some good news
Unfortunately the addition of the DQ Hero is nothing short of a death sentence to Crono, sharing a very similar idea in playstyle and the same character designer, but I can’t say I didn’t expect it given one is from a far more popular series with significant historic importance to the industry while the other…comes from a series with 2 games that hasn’t had anything outside of ports for nearly 20 years. But hey, Banjo overcame the hurdle of being owned by a rival company, and getting 2 out of my DLC wishlist is far more than I could have ever expected.
I’ve already made a post going into more detail about what I want and what I expected over the whole thing, but I felt it’d be appropiate to make a small update in regards to todays news.
My only real hope on what’s left of the pack is to see a new Capcom character between Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright or Dante respectively. Outside of the latter I wouldn’t say any of them have particularly high chances, but they’re also not impossible and they could all bring their own fun gimmicks to the table to stand out from the rest of the crowd besides all belonging to fairly iconic franchises in their own right (I wouldn’t go as far to say Okami and Ace Attorney are extremely popular but they’re also no small fries among Capcoms repertoire). I already called the Crono dream dead, but I knew from the get go Estelle from the Legend of Heroes series had absolutely no chance whatsoever, so I think not crossing her out of the deal would be being delusional.
But onto what I expect, I think it’s safe to believe the whole challenger pass will be nothing but 3rd parties, so there’s
4 5 possibilities that I believe could happen among our last 2 packs.
- New Capcom Rep: Capcom has a lot of memorable franchises, I’d say another of their bigger fries could easily fill the spot, particularly the already mentioned Dante from Devil May Cry, Leon/Jill from Resident Evil or a Monster Hunter due to World becoming their best selling game ever and finally obtaining worldwide popularity after many releases (besides you know, already having a boss and 2 music tracks in Ultimate). As I mentioned in an older blog, the missing Mii costumes also give some weight to this possibility.
- New Namco Rep: it’s weird that the one studio helping develop the game hasn’t gotten another rep, but admitedly, I can’t say their franchises are quite as iconic as the other 3rd parties that compose Smash (in my experience anyhow). Heihachi still feels like the safest choice given Tekken is pretty big and I believe he was even considered for the previous Smash game, but a Dark Souls rep could also stand a chance given how iconic the series has become to modern gaming. Soulcalibur is another possibility, but I don’t see it being quite as cherished as its other fighting cousin, although it’d make sense after Link’s guest appearance in the 2nd game. There’s some Tales buzz every now and then being brought up during speculation, but I honestly don’t see it. Once again, Mii costumes.
- Crash Bandicoot: while I still think western IPs will have a harder time getting into this series despite Banjos addition, Crash is unusual in that he was actually pretty popular in the easte as well during his prime time, besides being a significant icon of the late 90s. Years ago I’d have brushed aside the possibility, but with the series resurgence after the trilogy remake outside of finally having the games he’s remembered for debut on a Nintendo system, I’d say this isn’t that far fetched.
- Geno: admitedly I find this to be the least likely of my candidates as I’m more alongside the party that believes spirits disconfirm fighters than the other way around, and while we haven’t gotten any details on the matter, I wouldn’t be surprised if their Mii costume returns once the DQ hero drops (alongside all old and new Square costumes), further damaging their cause, and while this is probably the biggest stretch of the fan rules us Smash fans made on who can or can’t get in, having a Square character already take a DLC spot makes the idea of yet another one of their owned characters take one of the last highly coveted 2 feels unlikely to say the least, or if you consider Geno to be 1st party, well, I already said I don’t believe those have a chance in this pack. Yet it’s probably the last highly requested character I can think of people have been asking for a long time after all the popular additions Ultimate made (barring some unfortunate assist trophies like Bomberman, Isaac and Shovel Knight among others, which I believe to be a bigger cause against than anything Geno currently has), so despite normally having everything against them, a part of me believes Geno might be the closing chapter for Ultimate DLC (given that there’s no more passes, which I believe is the likeliest scenario), as I don’t think many other characters could surpass the deal that was seeing Banjo return after so long or DQ finally getting a representative.
- The Astral Chain cops?: as a last minute edit after a night of sleep, I thought these characters could end in as some sort of shameless promotion for Platinums next Nintendo exclusive. I don’t know the details whether this would fall as a 1st party franchise or not, but after Bayonetta’s addition in the last game, I’d say the possibility is certainly up in the air, although I’ll say they sound like the least likely out of the bunch by far, moreso than when I said Geno when I originally wrote this.
I considered the likes of Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Slayer after a few rumors throwing in those names every now and then, but I’m not quite feeling them to be all that likely.
Thanks for bearing once again with my mindless Smash blabber, hope it’s been a fun read.